BA Shared Topic: Making a WoW Cooking Recipe IRL

Could I have found a better way to demonstrate "I don't know what I'm talking about?" This week's Blog Azeroth Shared Topic was suggested by me: Making a WoW Cooking Recipe IRL

Have you ever attempted a WoW cooking recipe IRL? Have you found someone else's recipe and tried to follow it?


There have been folks that have used their own Unidentified Cooking Utensils to produced recipes and some have worked better than others. Share yours!


Or perhaps you can follow a recipe. but not create one and there is this fascinating recipe that you need created for you by someone with the right skills?


The reverse might also be a consideration: What IRL foods are missing in Azeroth?
Everybody that plays WoW probably knows there are parts of the game they don't participate in as much as someone else might. An obvious example being not all players will or can raid. Other corners of play include PvP and RP. This week's topic is Food, which everybody has at least some experience, if not in the manner discussed today.

Those already in this circle probably know more about it than me, but it was me that dared suggest the topic, and mine is the first post in the thread, so it's probably my responsibility to play introductions.

I was introduced to the topic first in the forums and was happy to discover Tauren Chef, which happens to sell a cookbook and will send you three recipes for free. They aren't bad, but I'm very happy to suggest you look at Edenvale's Gamer's Fridge. She has more options, a wider variety, and I haven't found one I dislike.

The inspiration for this topic was one evening after mixing up a few stacks of Chocolate Cookies to post on the Auction House. I was barking in /2 to sell these for the You'll Feel Right as Rain  achievement and realized my house was understocked. My boys had finished off the Oreos, so what should I do? I had already done some experiments and while thinking about more and researching it online, I decided I'd suggest it as a Shared Topic.

The easiest step into this for a newbie is to take normal food and give it an exotic name. My boys were perfectly happy to have Rhino Dogs, despite my not doing a darn thing different from when we'd had Hot Dogs two days before. (Oh, my spouse was out of town. Why do I mention that?) The family already has a perfectly Delicious Chocolate Cake recipe that I will not muck up.

Step Two is when you actually do something different, albeit not necessarily a big step. Mixing Orange Juice, some rum and whatever exotic fruit juice happens to be on sale at the grocery and calling it Kungaloosh works fine. I haven't made a Kungaloosh I didn't like yet.

Step Three is to really experiment and do something you haven't tried before. With my daughter is Korea, the whole family has started to experiment with Asian dishes. I've tried Unagi at a restaurant, but next month (when the daughter returns) I plan to try this recipe for Blackbelly Sushi. I'm serious. Eel is something that tastes WAY better than you expect. It's sweet and despite not using a Cooking Fire, the Eel actually is cooked.:

A package unagi eel is about a half-pound. Thaw if you got it frozen. Try to get it skinned already. It should peel easily though. Just broil it until the eel changes color. Repeat on the other side. Usually the eel is long, and for this we'll cut it into long, thin slices.

You'll want about 3 cups of rice. Look for a sumeshi recipe if you don't know have your own. You'll also want a small cucumber and about 6 sheets of nori. Now I realize I've given this is the wrong order:
  1. Cook 3 cups of sumeshi.
  2. Cook the unagi.
  3. Wash and chop the cucumber.
  4. Roll the sushi, using the unagi and cucumber as your fillings.
All this is actually easier than trying Roasted Quail!
  1. Serve with wasabi or other preferred flavorings.

1 comment: