Blog Azeroth Shared Topic: Nerd Badges!

The Shared Topic this week at Blog Azeroth was suggested by Akabeko:
How do you express your geekery? Do you own obvious paraphernalia like a Horde-symbol bumper sticker, in-joke tshirts like the dps/ups pun, or less obviously related items like a gift from a guildie? Rather than physical indicators, do you mix nerd lingo into your everyday speech or talk/post about geekdom in non-nerd spaces? How do you advertise your nerd tendencies? Does it help you to attract new nerd friends?
Home has plenty of signs of my geekery, but they aren't badges to others. My family already indulges in geekery and I have few interests that aren't already covered by someone else in the house. (I've mentioned how geeky my family is before in a prior post.) In fact, whenever I interest someone else in the family in something I enjoy, it doesn't take long before I find I've been overtaken. It's happened for years: Star Wars, Legos, Dr. Who, Game Boys, Magic:The Gathering, Joss Whedon, Harry Potter, Warcraft, Big Bang Theory. About the only thing I've left is J-Pop (Namie Amuro!) because everybody else at home prefers K-Pop (2NE1? Really?) (Did you check out my WoW Music Playlist post?)

Still top of my playlist
 The workplace is different. There, I do display "Nerd Badges". We've plenty of freedom at work to display things that mean something, but few of my interests overlap with my workmates. I'm older. My kids are in college. Most peers have young kids. None play "Video Games", unless you count that some have kids that play "Pokemon". The older son is twenty one and spent the holidays playing Pokemon with his college friends. (And watching My Little Ponies. Those crazy college kids!)

The Nerd Topic of conversation at work!
So, how do I badge?

On the wall, my calendar of choice has been the WoW calendar for several years. It has NEVER had a comment by a co-worker. I've even seen that the new college recruits don't seem to notice it. I'm guessing maybe they're unsure how much to say about their off-hour hobbies.

The geekiest things I display that attract far more attention is the little Star Wars Lego mini-figures. It's just three figures: two Biker Scout Troopers and Chewbecca. They attract comments and folks will pick up and play with them without asking. I'll come in to find them re-positioned, although never as creatively as I hope. Being a Star Wars fan now isn't a big deal. It's Mainstream!

Almost boring.

8 comments:

  1. It is interesting that when in Blizzcon nobody thinks twice about talking about their WoW addiction, but in a corporate setting most people just stay ubber quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Work is always an odd place to try and decorate. Since I spend most of my time there it would be nice to make it a little more homey, but I'm not quite sure where the line is. HR doesn't have good guidelines beyond 'it can't offend anyone' and I'm honestly not sure if seeing gaming stuff would offend anyone.

    I've snuck in day visits from Voltron green and red lions and XKCD comics, and I post NaNoWriMo stuff everywhere—but that's pretty subtle. I don’t think I could get away with something as big as a calendar, but now I'm sort of tempted to try. *ponders*

    Of course I'm also tempted to just post something in the lunchroom asking if anyone else plays... (hey, it worked for NaNo!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something everybody does at work is to have pictures of the kids.

    One picture I have is of a Hallowe'en with kids dressed as various Video Game characters. Yet no one seems to recognize them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woot woot, Namie! Although I don't listen to much pop, I do like her stuff when I hear it. I'm surprised that you don't get many comments on the nerd things on your desk! Although I think my coworkers would have a similar non-reaction if I were to decorate my desk... boo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I must just have boring co-workers.

      I had closer friends at work a few years ago, but with the recent recession and tightening, things became grey.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE STAR WARS LEGO!!!!!
    Kallixta you are one awesome onna otaku!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which now that I think about it is wrong since you are a GUY...

      Delete
    2. Guys don't like Lego?

      I don't think there is anything about my desk at work that indicates my gender. Unless it's the Girl Scout sticker on my filing cabinet being bigger than the Boy Scout one.

      Delete